What is the danger of high blood sugar?
High blood sugar itself is not terrible, but the terrible thing is the harm caused by its complications. Once high blood sugar is not well controlled, it can cause complications, leading to failure of the kidneys, eyes, feet, cardiovascular and cerebrovascular diseases, which are difficult to treat. Amputation, blindness, uremia… almost no disease can be like high blood sugar!
Five complications of hyperglycemia:
- Retinopathy: the most overlooked complication.
- Diabetic nephropathy: the most widely involved complication.
- Peripheral vascular disease: the most common acute complication.
- Peripheral neuropathy: the most confusing complication.
- Coronary heart disease: the most difficult complication.